Apr 28, 2012

Cooking - Lazy Side Dishes

Hi All! My grocery store had Oven Stuffer Roasters on wicked sale this week, and with the early Spring like temps, I decided a roasted chicken was just what my family needs - the smell of the roasting chicken wafting through my house, the warm, buttery taste of a fresh from the oven chicken (as opposed to fresh from the grocery store roaster) with some some starchy, tummy filling sides. You know it. That's the stuff, isn't it?

So, I've had a bag of Prince Edward Island potatoes sitting on the counter for some time and I figured it was about time I cooked some of them before they sprout. Though I am a lover of potatoes in any form, MiniMe and Big Daddy are not fans of "mashers" and I really didn't feel like doing anything creative.

Here is what I do when I've got a hunk - o something roasting in the oven:

Prep time - 3 mins
Cook time - final 30 mins of whatever is roasting

Raw potatoes - enough for your crowd, depending on the size of the potatoes. and crows
Olive oil - Couple Tablespoons - Xtra Virgin, Never been a Virgin, Expensive, Store brand, Rachel Ray Brand, Italian, Spanish, Greek. I don't care. Whatever you've got
Seasoning of some kind - Tony Chachere's is my "go to", Salt & Pepper with some Herbs de Provence, Italian Seasoning. To your taste.

Wash the raw potatoes and leaving the skin on, cut each potato in half, then quarters then 16ths you should have chunks that are about 1 inch.

Put the chunks in a bowl and drizzle with the olive oil - swirl it all around so potatoes are coated.

Sprinkle with your seasoning of choice (I suggest at least Salt and Pepper). If you are using Tony Chachere's, sprinkle it on, then give it a couple more shakes of the stuff in honor of my Bestie Charlotte.

Swirl the potatoes around in the stuff till they seem coated.

Open oven and carefully so you don't go burning yourself, pour the potatoes into the bottom of the roasting pan. Shake the pan so the potatoes all get down to the bottom of the pan.  If you are a bad, bad, naughty person and don't care about the grease, feel free to put a few potatoes in the cavity of the chicken. Don't stuff it though!

Close the oven. Whew! put the bowl in the sink.
Sit down and go online and look at Charlotte's website. Use the link at the bottom of my blog.
You are welcome!

Potatoes are done when they are tender to a fork. Hopefully, this will be at the same time as the chicken!

Come back and post your version/ recipe

Gruve on!




1 comment:

  1. This sounds delicee O so! I think I may just need to roast some taters tomorrow ; )

    ReplyDelete